Today, Connor came home from preschool and was very excited to show me something. I was outside tending to my roses so he kept asking me to go inside. I finally went in and he reached under the pillows on the couch.
C: Mommy, I'm so excited. I have a gift for you!
M: a gift?
C: For Mother's Day!
Out he pulls a beautiful card he made for me with a gift bag attached to it. In the bag was a lovely key chain that said "MOM" that he decorated w/ puffy paint and a lovely ribbon. I was so surprised. It's such a lovely gift! (Ofcourse, I attached it to my keys right away.)
Later on that day, we were supposed to go to Bible Study but we were all too exhausted and the kids were just DONE. I didn't want to cook dinner so I took Connor with me to get some food. But before we got our food, I went to get gas and as I'm pumping the gas, I looked at the back of the key chain and noticed that his name was spelled wrong.
My mistake...I mentioned it to him, knowing that he personally didn't write it.
M: Oh no Connor, I think someone spelled your name wrong on the keychain ("Conner")
(C breaks down crying....covers his eyes with his hands and everything!)
C: I knew you weren't going to like your gift!
M: Oh Connor, I LOVE it. I know you didn't spell your name wrong. Someone else did.
(He continues to cry and is sobbing at this point...just BREAKS MY HEART...so I end up breaking down too)
M: I'm so sorry Connor. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I know YOU didn't spell your name wrong. I LOVE IT. I love everything you make for me. Really...
(At this point, I'm pleading with him telling him just how much I appreciate everything he does for me and I just love the gift...etc)
C: They were supposed to copy my name and they didn't do it right. Hmph.
M: That's OK, we can fix it if you want.
C: Ooooh, I have a good idea! We can just make a new one.
Anyway, I was sooooooooooooo sad to see that I hurt my son's feelings. Granted, he was tired as hell and he becomes really sensitive & emotional when he's overtired. But still, that just broke my heart. I really need to pay more attention to the things I say. I'm just so afraid I'm not raising my kids right. :( I forget that kids take everything literally and they take things to heart so easily (well as a matter of a fact, adults do too sometimes).
I just wanted to say I'm sorry Connor for "criticizing" your lovely gift. It's perfect the way it is. I love you!
2 comments:
Aw! What a cute story - how sweet that he wanted it to be JUST RIGHT for you:)
I know. He's definitely a sweet boy. Gosh, it just hurts thinking about how bad I made him feel. *sigh*
Post a Comment