Now that January is over (wow, time flies fast!), I have finally compiled my list of new year's "resolutions". I know some people think it's lame to even create a list of what seems to be impossible, but I have managed to keep them every year (well MOST of them). I like having goals to work towards, it helps me accomplish things even if it means I scramble at the end of the year to get them done. But hey, procrastination is what drives me. It keeps me on my toes.
So far, I've created a list long enough to keep me busy this year. I've got lots of ideas and as we move along each month, I might just add to this list. For now, here they are!
1) LEARN TO SAY NO - I'm not saying I'm the nicest person on earth or anything because those who know me well know that's not true. LOL. But I always feel compelled to sign up for everything, go to every single event I get invited to and volunteer anytime help is needed. I feel good being able to be of service and be of importance, but in the end I just feel overwhelmed and guilty when I can't keep my end of the bargain. So this year, I vow to be a bitch...only when necessary. Just kidding, well kind of. I can't be a Scout Mom, a Soccer Mom, a Room Mom, a Mom at home, a good friend and a wife all at the same time. I've proven to myself that time is valuable and I need to set aside time for myself. I need to learn to say no. Instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off, I can relax on my couch and sip my coffee instead.
2) BACK ON THE WAGON (again) - Every year, I hibernate for about 4 months. Winter just makes me want to cuddle in my Snuggie and eat like a pig. Every year, I gain X amount of pounds which I cuss away come January when it's time to get off the couch. BUT as I'm getting older (especially this year), I have realized it's not going to be easy anymore. I used to be able to lose most of the weight I gain those 4 months in just one month. Don't get me wrong, I work my butt off to lose the weight. These past few weeks have been an eye opener for me. I have worked my butt off to lose the weight and that scale isn't budging DOWN, it's going UP. So imagine me shock when I actually have to try even harder. Grrr. It's taking all the energy I can muster to exercise and eat healthy-er. Yeah, ok, I'm still having a few cookies and some candy, but usually, I CAN. Not so much anymore. So boo. Back on the wagon I go! South Beach Diet begins March 1, 2011. Season premiere coming soon.
3) BE MORE CRAFTY - I always used to be a lot more creative in my younger years. I used to be able to draw, knit, paint, etc. But after having kids, those all go on the wayside and well, yeah, I'm kinda rusty in the artsy department. I have all these great ideas of what I want to do this year to be more creative and it's going to be great (at least that's what I tell myself). I have done quite a few arts & crafts projects with the kiddos. Just yesterday, Isabella and I made a princess castle out of construction paper. Connor made a "dream catcher" out of old Tinkertoys. Now it's time to work on the adult versions!
4) LIVE SIMPLY - I hate to admit it but I am a bit of a hoarder. I love stuff. I can't live without it. Every single thing has its purpose in my eyes. I can't seem to find a reason to let go of things. I mean, I have gotten way better at letting go now that we live in a small house and don't have room to store things. But I still need to work on it. I can find an excuse as to why I need those 30 extra photo frames sitting in the closet in the past year. They can be GIFTS! They can be that one special thing I can give to that one special person when they have that one special event in their life! Trust me, I can come up with something for any particular item. The worst (or best) part is that I like to find bargains so Craig(slist) is my best friend. Thrift stores, yard sales, Ebay...all good friends. So you can only imagine...as I find more bargains, more stuff has to be moved around in the house (or garage) to make room for it. But this is the year I will learn to LIVE SIMPLY. That means, I need to go into that garage, into those closets and rid myself of those special stuff. Stuff I love and will sorely miss. Stuff I'm sure my husband would like to put in the burn pile. I will organize this house. I started yesterday and it's oh so NOT fun. Blah.
5) FORGIVE & REMEMBER - 2010 was a rough year for us (particularly me). With Jeramy's bad back, my Mom's heart attack, stroke & cancer, my step sister and her husband's family drama, etc. I have eaten away the stress and shopped away my sorrows. My fat ass and hefty credit card debt are proof that that isn't the best methods of dealing with your problems. I probably would have been better off paying a therapist...at least I get drugs. I can't control some of the things that happen in my life, especially when they are outside sources that are affecting me. Aside from my husband's bad back, we have dealt with so many problems not even pertaining to US. We've dealt with so many negative forces this past year. Ugh. I need to learn to forgive myself for putting myself (and my family) first and not feel guilty for not succumbing to other people's crap. This is the year I am going to stop letting people walk all over me. I need to remember how important I am too and learn to realize it's OK to be selfish sometimes. I need to keep my sanity somehow, right?
Such a short list, right? Probably the most challenging list of "resolutions" ever. A lot of soul-searching to be done this year. But it can be done, I just know it!!! It all starts with the mind and my mind says "JUST DO IT".
No comments:
Post a Comment