Friday, August 02, 2013

Which diet to do this time?


Yes, I said the forbidden word again...DIET. Realistically, I would like to say that I could continue eating healthy on a regular basis, as a "lifestyle".  But I don't live like that.  I enjoy food too much to give up anything permanently. I can go for weeks, even months, without certain things (sugar, dairy, grains, etc).  I can even try to go for a year without some things.  I've done it before, well kind of.  I omitted soda from my diet for 3 years.  I just didn't care for it.  Then again, I was drinking a lot of alcohol at that time. I'll save that explanation for another day.  LOL

Anyway, I have several more days left until the next Biggest Loser competition begins.  Last diet I did was Paleo aka the Caveman Diet.  I lasted 6 weeks and as much as I liked it and appreciated losing 15 lbs during that time, I just don't know if that's something I want to go through again.  First off, it's expensive.  I don't normally eat red meat.  I eat a lot of chicken and seafood (fish, shrimp, tuna, crabs & lobster) if I'm lucky. But I find that I NEED red meat when I'm eating Paleo.  You kind of feel ravenous for a period of time and you just want to eat a lot.  Considering it's so limited to veggies, meat, eggs and fruit...I felt like I needed something different (other than chicken) to continue Paleo.  You end up eating a lot of the same stuff.  Makes it kind of boring to eat eggs everyday.  But it also forces you to find new recipes to keep you going.  My point is that meat is expensive!  Secondly, even though I liked many different Paleo recipes (my family did too), it's a LOT of work trying to make things.  My kitchen ends up looking like a bomb went off at every meal.  Yes, you heard that right.  EVERY MEAL.  Don't get me wrong, I like cooking.  But I would rather not have to cook every single meal.  It's much more convenient to grab a yogurt out of the fridge or pour myself a bowl of cereal for breakfast than having to cook eggs and bacon.  Not to mention all the veggies you end up cutting just to make the meals more filling.  Which in turn creates MORE mess.  Which leads to cleaning. MORE cleaning.  Eh.

Another reason I am not really wanting to do Paleo is that even though I lost 15 lbs in the 6 weeks I attempted it.  It is not something I can see myself doing for a looooooooooong period of time.  Like I said, it's too limiting.  No dairy.  No (refined) sugar.  No refined anything. No grains.  No processed foods.  No beans.  No alcohol (sometimes this becomes a NEED).  No Thrifty's chocolate malted crunch ice cream!!  This is also a NEED.  Who can live like that for life??!?!  I know I certainly can't. 

I'm trying to be realistic here.  I know I love my sugar.  I can go without it for days, weeks, months (3 months being the longest when I did the South Beach Diet a few years back).  Ideally I would like to be able to enjoy some of the finer things in food.  You know, sugar, dairy, grains, beans...yes, even beans.  I want to be able to make it last longer than a few months.  You know, make it a lifestyle.  Is that even possible???

I met someone recently that told me about the S Diet. It's a few simple rules. 


"There are just three rules and one exception:
  • No Snacks
  • No Sweets
  • No Seconds
Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

That's it." 

Why in quotes? Because I copied it straight from their website.  The rules are really that simple. 

So that means, I can eat what I want (as long as I don't go crazy) on Saturdays, Sundays and special days like holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.  I like the idea of not having to say no to every single meal offered to me at parties, at restaurants, at other people's houses.  I like the idea of not having to omit anything from my diet. 

Ofcourse this all piqued my interest enough to buy the book.  I literally held it in my hands this morning and thought to myself how cool it would be to read it all in one day. 

Suffice to say...it's still sitting on the table.  Untouched...all day. 

Tonight might be the night! 

The research begins...

No comments: