Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reflection Questions for 2008

I got this from SimpleMom.net. I haven't really given a lot of what's happened in the past year much thought so it will be interesting to try to answer these questions. Why don't you try them yourself?

Reflection Questions for 2008

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
We bought our 1st house! It's such a pretty little 3BR/2BA house with a great backyard for the kids to run around in. I love where we live and look forward to all the wonderful memories we will make in our new home!

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Working 50+ hrs per week as an Event Coordinator for the Zoo (while taking care of the kids at the same time) for less money than what I expected.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
The Mexican Riviera cruise my in-laws took us on in September!

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Having to pay for my dental implants ($5,000) at the last-minute due to an emergency.

5. Pick three words to describe 2008.
Fun, adventurous, and stressful.

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2008 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
Stressed, confused, and happy.

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2008 (again, without asking).
Fun, adventurous, and stressful.

8. What were the best books you read this year?
Crazy Love by Chan (the most recent one I read) was by far the most thought-provoking and life-changing book I've read in the past year. I honestly don't remember the others after reading that one.

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
Jeramy, my kids, my sisters, my inlaws, and my girls (Corinne, Ling, Sammie, the Jen(n)s, and Jess).

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
I became a true stay-at-home mom in May. I was always working (ie, volunteering) on small projects on the side and focused on those things rather than just spending time with my kids.

11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I usually talk about everything else, but never about what really bothers ME. I have had enough breakdowns this year to realize that it's OK to cry, to let it out and not internalize everything.

12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I have become more spiritual in a sense that I am trying to build a more intimate relationship with God.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
I gained 10 lbs last holiday season and weighed 162 lbs at the beginning of 2008, fasted for 5 days and lost quite a few lbs then gained a few back. But in August, I discovered the South Beach Diet and have managed to keep my weight around 140-145 lbs. It has been REALLY challenging, considering the cruise and all the traveling we've done in the last few months but I intend to stick with this lifestyle for good.

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I have lost some friends this year which was a really painful process. However, I have learned a valuable lesson...to never take things for granted. I've also given every person I've met the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are good from the get-go, but over time, I find that I am wrong. I need to listen to my instincts from the very beginning and try to build better relationships with people who are worth my time and effort. Fortunately, we have created our own little "Sex in the City" group and I have gotten closer with these girls this past year and am looking forward to becoming even better friends with them in 2009.

15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
Believe it or not, it's the kids/guest bathroom. I managed to keep that bathroom clean almost every day since we've moved in! I don't know if it was exactly "enjoyable" but I enjoyed the fact that it was the one room in the house that was clean the majority of the time.

16. What was your most challenging area of home management?
The kitchen. I hate washing dishes, cleaning the counters, throwing out the trash, etc. But I like cooking and eating, so go figure.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Working for the Zoo.

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Traveled and spent a lot of time with family/friends! We went to LA in Feb for our 4th anniversary, enjoyed the concerts and festivities at the Fair in the summer, went to San Clemente in June for my brother's graduation, had family/friends come visit in August for our housewarming, went on the cruise with J's parents in Sept, had Lefse reunion in Phoenix & early Thanksgiving with my mom & bro in Laguna Niguel in November, and celebrated early Christmas at my sister Charmaine's new house (which she purchased a month after we bought ours) in San Diego in December.

19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
That friends come and go and that I'm old enough now to pick & choose who my friends are. We are ADULTS, so let's act like it. We're not in high school anymore!

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2008 for you.
Whoo-rah!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Great questions - sounds like 2008 was a year of a lot of learning experiences for you guys. Hopefully 2009 will be a tad less stressful for you:)

I think I might steal your questions for my blog entry today...

Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

It is fun to see how you would reflect on this last year! I am glad that you have learned a lot about yourself and others. And I am very glad that we always get to be friends!! You really are like a sister to me. Love you! :)

j.sterling said...

i love this.. it's so introspective.. and omg, you're at 140-145? i am SO fucking jealous. holy shit am i a fat ass lately. i really need to work on eating better... i work out almost 5times a week and it doesn't do SHIT for me. i am a fat, lard, ass. lol i'm sick of it. HELP ME!!!

and i totally want to hear more about this book you read! sounds amazing!!! :)

xxoxoxo love and miss you