Hubby and I have sent in our absentee ballots and we feel confident about our decisions. It's sad knowing that who we voted for will NEVER win, but it feels good knowing that we voted for someone we believed in and have similar values as we do. Too bad, so many people have to knock us down for the choice we have made. "You're just throwing away your vote!" is becoming a recurring theme amongst our social circles but you know what? If you vote for McCain, so are you my dear, so are you. If the system depended solely on popular votes then he might actually have a chance. But there's 270 electoral votes to go around and since CA is predominantly a Democratic state and is one of the states that has the highest # of electoral votes (55 electoral votes), Barack is already predicted to win. (More on the Electoral College system: http://www.kqed.org/w/youdecide/electoral_college/). BUT if it's anything like the 2004 election, he might only win by a narrow margin. Polls show that it's still a close race so we will just have to wait and see! I personally have nothing against either 2 of the main candidates, I think they both offer something the other does not. I just didn't feel comfortable filling in the circle next to either one of their names...
We walk around our neighborhood every day and am quite shocked at how many signs are posted in people's yards. I didn't realize that our neighborhood cared so much. So far, if the election was based on signage in this miniscule world we call "our block" then...McCain wins and YES on Prop 8 wins as well. I refuse to talk any more politics so I will stop right here, right now. I love debate but have no desire to argue with anyone other than my husband.
But to all those who are undecided, I urge you to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH before you vote. It really helps to know who and what you are voting for, especially the propositions that I totally believe are meant to confuse you. I hate to say it but don't vote if you have no idea what anything means. I hate knowing that there are a mass of people out there voting (or not voting) for a candidate just because of his race or what's on his resume or because they believe all the BS people tell them, or because one side of the proposition sounds better than the other (read further into the details of the prop and you'll be surprised that you may not agree with some of the details!). So the message here is learn the right info so you can vote. Now, more than ever, it's important for people to make their voices heard! If you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain!
On a side note, what do you think of this?
November is a very important month, not only because it's election time but because it will be the beginning of what is yet to come. Everything that is going on right now will continue for years...it's not gonna end just because of a new president or certain props passed. Remember, most of economy's problems now are not just the banks' and lenders' fault, it is OUR fault as well. Most people are in financial crisis for reaching & striving for the "American Dream" that was out of reach in the first place. I don't understand why the media focuses so much on banks failing...humans have failed dearly as well. I myself am not excluded from this true catastrophe, as I too wanted to "keep up with the Joneses".
Now 6 months after purchasing a home and living well beyond our means, hubby and I finally realized it's time to take the bull by the horns and STOP everything we've been doing. You see, we never budgeted. I mean, it's one of the things the pastor talked about with us during marriage counseling before sealing the deal, but it wasn't something we thought we needed to do. Surprise surprise, 4 1/2 years later, BAM! Reality check! Up until now, we were eating out 3-4 times a week, buying anything and everything we desired, going on vacations like we were rock stars, and spoiling the hell out of our kids and ourselves. I mean, it's not like we're that deep in debt but we are spending more than we should be!
So yes, November is the month of change. WE ARE ON A BUDGET. :( No more eating out, no more splendid shopping sprees, no more traveling just for fun (visiting family OK), no more going out & waving around the credit cards like rock stars, no more! We are going to focus on NEEDS not wants, paying the bills, keeping the family happy the cheapest way possible (thank goodness we have a huge backyard!) and just spending more quality time with friends & relatives. Because that's all that really matters...having a roof above our heads, food in our tummies, making enough money to survive and being surrounded by people we love.
That means more potlucks! more girls' night ins! renting books & videos from the library! exploring the hills of the central coast! walking anywhere and everywhere a stroller can go! lots more cuddly time with kids and hubby!
We have also vowed to be more involved in the community. Ideally, we would like to find something we can do with the kids. We want the kids to learn to value life and appreciate what God has given them. We've been involved with the Zoo, Loaves & Fishes, AIDS Network, UNICEF, and other organizations in the past so we are looking for something new this year. Any suggestions?
I am really looking forward to November. Here's to living the simple life! :)
*Note to self: this post is to encourage accountability*
4 comments:
Great post! I have to say...right at this moment, I'm so glad to not be living in California! One very great benefit to living in WY is that it takes a lot of social issues (well, and fashion trends, haha) a lot longer to get here, so we have some extra time to really study cause and effect first. I totally agree with you that there are many, many people who vote on the surface only or because they're trying to be PC. Most of the time, especially when you vote for or against a proposition, there is one part of it you'd agree with...and a very large portion you wouldn't. Its so important to sort all that out before you get to the polls - and not based on propoganda.
As for "tightening the belt" on the finances...we're doing that, too. Moving to a super rural town has significantly helped with the budget, as there is nowhere TO spend our money unless we drive for 2 or 3 hours:) But even so, we're trying hard to be more self-sufficient and not blow our money. We're making a massive effort to pay off our debt right now (except the house) - and I have to say, even though we really don't have that much of it, just thinking about how much of our budget it will free up is very motivating!
You have some great ideas - one I"m working on right now is menu planning. I do 2 weeks at a time and plan out dinner menus on post-its (so I can move them around during the week if plans change). I plan easier to prepare meals on days we have a lot going on (and try to pre-cook meat, etc. on other days ahead of time) so we're not as tempted to eat out (at the one cafe in town...haha) or throw in a freezer pizza:) It saves a lot of money (and time) to plan ahead - especially if you can get things with coupons and sales!
We also make our kids earn money (its optional at this point - if they want extra money, they can go outside and pick up rocks or poop-scoop for a penny an item - a highly motivated 6 year old can earn $4 or 5 an hour!) and buy certain things with their own money (mostly stuff that I think is dumb and won't spend my own money on, haha - like treats from the candy store or webkinz). Some of my wealthier friends think we're mean, but I refuse to have my own kids be a part of the current generation that is causing this financial mess. I do NOT want to produce teenagers and young adults who think money grows on trees in their parents' yard, that credit is the solution to all of their problems, and that they can be as irresponsible as they want because mom and dad will bail them out. I was raised to be independent and gosh darn it if my kids will be, too! I completely agree with you that this financial mess is a people problem, not a bank problem. I just have to laugh when I hear news reports of people saying its the bank's fault that they lost their house because the bank shouldn't have given them credit in the first place...WHAT?? Seriously, the lack of personal responsibility these days is terrifying.
Anyway - sorry to leave such a long comment - I'd just talk to you in person if I lived there:)
Thanks Sandy! I usually don't talk about politics but I feel so strongly about this election that I just had to post SOMETHING. It really scares me when the media & lobbyists push people to vote but do not educate them and when people choose not to learn the facts about the props and what the candidates stand for. Just because it's a given right to vote, doesn't mean you should! I hate knowing that political teams are out there targeting those that are less fortunate (i.e., the homeless or illiterate individuals) to get them to vote on election day to increase the votes for the particular candidate they are working for. I am really curious to see if they bribe the homeless w/ meals & shelter in exchange for their vote?
Well that's besides the point. I think that people seriously need to educate themselves before they exercise the right to vote. It's such an important election (as is every election ofcourse) but our future depends on this. The policies that each candidate promises & the props (if actually initiated and signed) can either make or break people's lives!!!
As for the finances...it will be so liberating when that day comes when we can admit to ourselves "Wow, we've done it. We've gained some self-control and are honestly living within our means. No more debt and we are happy, happy, happy!" Moving to a super rural town (A-town is rural enough for a Southern Cali girl like me!) is not an option!! But even that wouldn't kill me...it's the internet shopping that does me in. LOL.
Oh yeah, I love the idea of menu-planning. I did that a few years ago when Connor was 1st born and am actually trying to get started again. I was watching Oprah the other day and got some great recipes for roasting 2 whole chickens (which I'm planning to do on Wed). I am hoping to create some delicious meals for the next few weeks with that. And I LOVE coupons. A girl in my moms' group has created quite a whirlwind with The Grocery Game so I am thinking of trying it out. Do you do anything like that??
I totally agree with you when it comes to teaching our children responsibility. It too scares me how personal responsibility is truly lacking in the world today.
My sisters and I grew up so differently from the world my brother grew up in. He was born in '90 and pretty much grew up as an only child as we had left the house already when he was a few years old. Just comparing the differences of parenting styles my parents used on us girls vs him is such a classic example of how society has molded parenting to become a complete failure. What happened to becoming a PARENT and not being their FRIEND?!?!
Seeing kids at 7 years old with cell phones makes me sick! Disciplining your child is now considered child abuse? PUHH-LEAZE!!! Kids make money from earning good grades? What the heck?
I remember that we had to get good grades AND do chores to earn the right to be able to go a bday party or just spend time with friends. We only got "allowance" when we would spend every weekend doing yard work (1 bag of leaves = $1). We did our daily chores because that was part of HOUSE RULES. We had to earn everything! Now, all a child has to do is blink and a magic genie appears to get all their wishes granted. And people wonder why kids become irresponsible adults? Ummm...it's because they were never taught any differently! I am with you. I refuse to have my kids grow up and think they won't be held accountable for anything!
J and I talk about this all the time. It's so scary how irresponsible (and STUPID) people are today. We're seriously afraid that our world is becoming (or already is) "Idiocracy". *shudder*
Okay...now I'm curious - what's the Grocery Game??
Sandy, check out www.thegrocerygame.com
Post a Comment